Google / Motorola may be attempting to do with hardware what Android is doing to the software operating system world ... a revolution! Project Ara is attempting to develop modular compenents for smartphones which incorporate open hardware design. Imagine this idea for a phone:
- GPS navigation is important for you? (add a higher end GPS module to your phone)
- Video is NOT important for you? (remove video camera module from your phone)
- Pay for only the modules you install
- Phone is customize for your needs and tastes
- Open source community designs new modules
Sound interesting? Read up on Project Ara.
I've signed up with Motorola to be a beta tester. I'll report back at the project progresses. At this point I've installed the Ara dScout app to my smartphone and have complete the three requested "missions".