Right before the July 4th holiday I had the privilege to interview Fred Rose. This gentlemen has been instrumental in building the Lego robotics program, not just in Minnesota, but throughout the world (HighTechKids.Org). This Fall, as I start my sixth year as a Lego League coach, I thought it would be neat to learn more about Fred and his ideas. Here were my questions: (listen to the podcast to hear Fred's answers!)
Nerdcast - Take 08: Interview with INSciTE Director: Fred Rose
(total running time: 15 minutes)
- I know that Minnesota is now one Lego League's world leaders ... with a global reach via INSciTE, how did you first become involved with Lego League?
- Now a two part question .... As you know, I'm entering my sixth year as a Lego League coach. My boys will be high school seniors this Fall. In terms of having a high school level league, I understand that Minnesota is the exception to the rule, why is that? ...... and ...... What is your view on how we should be approaching the high school year's of our children's development?
- Both of us work for the same Fortune 500 company's R&D Lab. Your job often takes you to Bangalore. A few years ago, you started up Lego League in India. What were some of the challenges with that effort?
- During Lego League competitions, I am constantly amazed at the innovative robot designs which the kids create ... particularly the youngest children. What can adult engineers learn from these children?
- What's next for Fred Rose and INSciTE?
- Fred ... thanks for your time today. One of the things I do on NerdCast is ask this question of all interviewees. I warn you, only the geekiest, nerdiest answers are accepted! ..... Okay ... What's the nerdiest thing you've ever done in your life, and be specific!