Earlier today I traveled through time back into the past! At 3:00 p.m. I left Japan, and at 11:50 a.m. in the morning on the same day I arrived home in Minnesota ... after an eleven hour flight! Obviously the big question is ... what does this have to with "converting digital camera movies to Flash". Given my body clock is all messed up, I decided it was time to post some movies from my Run for China's Children Quest. This also represents a good way to get back to my blogs' main theme of technology learning.
Like many of you, my digital camera allows me to take movies. However, the larger file sizes are not web friendly; thus I wanted to convert my avi files to the Flash format. Here were my two constraints:
- I wanted a free video conversion program that was easy to use.
- I did not want to do much html editing to make the content run on the web.
Here was my solution:
- I found a great little freeware program, Super C from eRightSoft.
- With minor tweaking, I could easly convert my digital movies
- A typical file size reduced 8 megabytes to 800 kilobytes
- I used 320 by 240 resolution, but high quality
- I used NotedPad+ for my html editing. You may use any word processor.
Here are my Run for China movies (under 15 seconds each). Pay attention to the viewing instructions!
Initial Viewing Instructions
- Click to select and load any movie
- Once that page loads, click <reload/refresh> via your browser
- The movie should now play
- Click <back> to select the next movie
(the children would greet us in this manner at each school we visited)
(my wife Molly dancing with some kids!)
(I give some sixth graders a very short English lesson!)
(farming of rice is still done by hand near the Vietnamese border)
Note: I'm looking for an html code generator that works with the new version of Flash. This will then eliminate the load and refresh requirement.
Once you have created your Flash files, it is necessary to create a very simple html file. You can <right click> upon any of my movies and use that file as a template. Use the screenshot given below, and make the few changes indicated.