- Question: How does one make the Northstar Nerd happy?
- Answer: By giving him two arms!
- Movie: A Skier Cooks His Cast (short slideshow with music)
As some of you know, I have a ski injury (broken thumb and torn ligament). This past weekend, quite by chance, I met Dr. Ralph Bovard who is the Chief Medical Officer of Exos Corporation ... a small medical start-up company. Dr. Bovard was a fellow competitor at a recent cross-country ski race. He saw my problem and offered to help. As it turns out his company has a new product line, moldable casts, which are about to be introduced to the American marketplace. Quite simply, the foam cast is heated to 200 degrees and then cools to fit and protect the person's injury. However, this technology allows one much more freedom ... and in my case ... the ability to ski with not one, but two poles! Better yet, given the Northstar Nerd lives in Minnesota, I can fit this cast UNDER a glove. Warm hands are happy hands!
In the interests of full disclosure, EXOS has provided me two casts at no charge. I have agreed to provide their company feedback during my training and the American Birkebeiner cross-country ski race. I have received no compensation, and have no investment position in EXOS. I am just an injured skier who still wants to compete this year. Thank you, Exos and Dr. Bovard!
- Jan. 2010: Bad fall re-injures thumb .. back in an EXOS cast .. more later
- Dec. 2009: Check out MinnSki (Nordic Skiing in Minnesota)
- Feb. 2009: See my Birkie Results (and slideshow)
Or view my PhotoPeach animated slideshow directly below
A Skier Cooks His Cast! on PhotoPeach