You may ask the question ... what gives the Northstar Nerd the "right" to speak about the topic of photo journalism? After all, I've never worked for a newspaper (unless you count my high school paper, The Exonian). However with the advent of Web 2.0, the ability to tell a story, an ear for music and Photopeach, the Northstar Nerd has become Photopeach's leading "most featured content creator"!
Okay ... so what's my secret ... and what's Photopeach?
- First, PhotoPeach is a service that allows the end user to create web mashups that include your own uploaded photographs, music (including YouTube) and Flash animation.
- Second, you don't need to be web geek to create the photo animations. You can let PhotoPeach make its best guess ... and before you know it you'll see your images magnifying it ... moving ip, etc.
- Third ... Music, Music, Music!
The music you use is almost as critical as your images. The proper music drives your creation; the wrong music will bore your audience. For instance ... for each of these creations the music supports the story and images:
- One Armed Skier Conquers City of the Lake Loppet, I used "Eye of the Tiger from Rocky".
- Northstar of America, I used "North to Alaska"
- Triumph of the Proletariat (or how to bag leaves), I used Soviet Anthem music
You get the idea ... the music drives the content and the story. This brings up another point. Photopeach allows one to add captions. A brief animation caption will work wonders.
Now comes one of the most important parts ... your marketing. If you are taking photos of an event, you must create your animated show by the next morning. When folks who attended the event return home, Google will be their best friend. They want to see pictures of what they just particpated in ... first to the web will show up in the top Google results.
In addition, don't forget to microblog on Twitter, and contact show sponsors, web services etc. If your site does not carry advertising (such as my site, NorthstarNerd.Org), you would be surprised how many folks will link and add stories to your content.
For my own content, I've been picked up and promoted by ...
- Branson Air Show by the Branson Airport & Chamber of Commerce
- Sunrise Over Suomi by the Finnish American Minnesota Heritage Society
- Blackflag Marathon by SkinnySki.Com
Here are three examples:
Project Polar Bear on PhotoPeach
One Armed Skier Conquers City of the Lakes Loppet on PhotoPeach
Old Testament (China) on PhotoPeach